Professor of Law
Founding Director, IP Law Program
LAW 802ABusiness Associations
LAW 700ACivil Procedure I
LAW 700BCivil Procedure II
LAW 833Entertainment Law
LAW 823EIntellectual Property Law Survey
LAW 863CLegal Methods
LAW 805Professional Responsibility
Research Interests & Areas of Specialization
- Business Law
- Civil Litigation
- Intellectual Property Law, including Copyright, Trademark, Entertainment, High Technology and Internet law
- Law and Society
- Legal Ethics
- Solo and Small Firm Practice
- JD, University of California Hastings College of the Law
- AB, University of California, Berkeley
Professional & Teaching Experience
- Visiting Professor, William Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada – Las Vegas, spring 2013 (teaching Proeprty Law).
- Successful Plaintiff’s Counsel in groundbreaking ERISA case, Meagher v. IAM, 856 F. 2d 1418 (9th Cir. 1988)
- Managing Partner, Nelson & Greenberg; Founding Partner, Law Offices of Marc H. Greenberg, and associate attorney in Bay Area litigation and IP law firms from 1979 to present, 20 years full-time practice before joining the GGU faculty in 2000
- Chair, Art Law Section of the American Association of Law Schools, 2009-10; Member, Executive Board, Art Law Section, 2009-2012
- Visiting Professor, University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 2009-2010 (teaching Civil Procedure)
- Lecturer, Presenter and Panelist for IP-related programs and conferences for the American Bar Association’s Copyright, and Sports and Entertainment Law Sections; The San Francisco IP Law Association; The GGU International Law Fulbright Conference; The Comic Arts Conference; The Philadelphia Bar Institute; and Comic Book Law School at the San Diego International ComicCon
- ROBOTS (and Elvis Imitators) Again: Estate of Presley v Russertand Right of Publicity Over-Reaches in US Law, ch. 16 in Intellectual Property Excesses: Exploring the Boundaries of IP Protection (Hart Publishing, 2022)
- Fandom and the Law: A Guide to Fan Fiction, Film, Art and Cosplay, (ABA Book Publishing, 2021).
- Webinar With Marc Greenberg with Syracuse College of Law Intellectual Property Center, March 18, 2020.
- Copyright Termination and Recapture Laws: Good Intentions Gone Awry (ABA Book Publishing, 2016).
- Comic Art, Creativity and the Law (Edward Elgar Publishing, Inc., 2014).
- Comics, Courts and Controversy: A Case Study of the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, 32 Loy. L.A. Ent. L. Rev. 121 (2012).
- Right of Publicity and the Intersection of Copyright and Trademark Law. Presented to The 6th Annual Intellectual Property Law Institute, March 29, 2012. For the Pennsylvania Bar Institute By Professor Marc H. Greenberg, Golden Gate University School of Law and Michael L. Lovitz, Lovitz IP Law PC.
- Book Review: Inherent Vice: Bootleg Histories of Videotape and Copyright (Duke University Press 2009), by Lucas Hilderbrand, In 1:2 The IP Law Book Review, published by the IP Law Center, Golden Gate University School of Law 77 (2011).
- The Sly Rabbit and the Three C’s: Copyright, Calligraphy and China, 7 Loyola University Chicago Int’l. L. Rev. 163 (2010).
- Kurlan v. CBS: Justice Carter’s Prescient Dissent – A Glimpse into the Future of Copyright Protection in the Entertainment Industry, ch. in The Great Dissents of the “Lone Dissenter”: Justice Jesse W. Carter’s Twenty Tumultuous Years on the California Supreme Court (Carolina Academic Press, 2010).
- Reason or Madness: A Defense of Copyright’s Growing Pains, 7 J. Marshall Rev. Intell. Prop. L. 1 (2007).
- The Baby and the Bathwater Too: A Critique of A.L.A. v. U.S., Syracuse Science and Technology Law Reporter (Spring 2006).
- A Return to Lilliput: The LICRA v. Yahoo! Case and the Regulation of Online Content in the World Market, 18 Berkeley Technology L. J. 1191 (2003).
- Book review: Multimedia Law: Forms and Analysis, 12:4 Entertainment and Sports Lawyer 10 (1995).
- Constitutional Review: Supreme Court, October 1977 Term, 6 Hastings Const. L. Q. 19 (1979).
- Co-Chair – Copyright Section, San Francisco IP Law Association
- Member and Mediator for California Lawyers for the Arts
- Member, State Bar of California, U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of California, Eastern District of California, Central District of California, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Honors & Awards
- April, 2019: Awarded the Tenth Annual Arthur Seidel Distinguished IP Service Award by the Pennsylvania Bar Association
- 2001 Instructor of the Year, Golden Gate University School of Law
- AV Preeminent Rated Attorney, Martindale-Hubbell 2010