Dean of the School of Law
Professor of Law
Mark Yates is Professor of Law and Dean of the Law School. He teaches a variety of classes, including Torts, Civil Procedure, Remedies, and Criminal procedure. During his 20 years at Golden Gate School of Law, Dean Yates has served as Director of Academic Support, Director of Bar Services, and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs.
Prior to joining Golden Gate School of Law, Dean Yates worked as a civil litigator and as a public defender. He received a BA in Religious Studies from University of California, Santa Barbara and a JD from University of California College of the Law, San Francisco.
Research Interests & Areas of Specialization
- American Legal History
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law
- Legal Education
- JD, Hastings College of the Law, University of California
Professional & Teaching Experience
- Former litigation associate at Pillsbury Winthrop
- Former deputy public defender, Mendocino County
- Text is Still a Noun: Preserving Linear Text-Based Literacy in an e-Literate World, 18 Leg. Writing 119 (2012).
- The Carnegie Effect: Elevating Practical Training over Liberal Education in Curricular Reform, 17 J. of the Legal Writing Institute 233 (2011).