Helen Y. Chang
Professor of Law
LAW 700ACivil Procedure I
LAW 700BCivil Procedure II
LAW 808ACommunity Property
LAW 710Criminal Law
LLM 373International Criminal Law
Research Interests & Areas of Specialization
- Family Law
- Community Property
- Criminal Law
- JD, Southern Methodist University Law School
- BA, University of Texas
Professional & Teaching Experience
- Served as Interim Dean of Law Student Services
- Served as Interim Director of the LLM in Taxation Program
- A Brief History of Anglo-Western Suicide From Legal Wrong to Civil Right, S.U.L.Rev. (forthcoming 2018).
- California Putative Spouses: the Innocent, the Guilty, and the Law, 44 Sw. L. Rev. 327 (2015).
- Justice Carter’s Dissent in People v. Crooker: An Early Step Towards Miranda Warnings and the Expansion of the Fifth Amendment to Pre-Trial Confessions, ch. in The Great Dissents of the “Lone Dissenter”: Justice Jesse W. Carter’s Twenty Tumultuous Years on the California Supreme Court (Carolina Academic Press, 2010).
- The Slip and Fall of the California Legislature in the Classification of Personal Injury Damages at Divorce and Death, 1 Est. Plan. & Cmty. Prop. L.J. 345 (2008).
- My Father is a Woman: Oh No!: The Failure of the Courts to Uphold Individual Substantive Due Process Rights For Transgender Parents Under the Guise of the Best Interests of the Child, 43 Santa Clara L. Rev. 649 (2003).