Marcia Ruben, PhD
Tenured Associate Professor
Program Director, MS Leadership
Marcia Ruben, Ph.D. joined GGU as an Adjunct Professor of Management in November 2010 and was appointed a Visiting Assistant Professor in July 2012. In January 2013 she was appointed an Assistant Professor. In May 2014 she was appointed to the Chair of the Management Department. She has served as an adjunct graduate school professor of Management and Leadership at Kaplan University.
Dr. Ruben is president of Ruben Consulting Group, Ltd. and has expertise in executive leadership, team performance, change management, and organizational development. Her work with clients is grounded in her experience as a senior leader, account executive, and business consultant. For more than 25 years, she has helped individuals, teams and companies excel by focusing on the human and organizational system issues that impact performance and growth. Her consulting and coaching practice ranges from assignments leading change management efforts for global initiatives, strengthening leadership team and cross-functional collaboration and coaching executive leaders. Marcia works with a wide spectrum of industries — clean technology, high technology, biotechnology, financial services, retail, private equity, nonprofits, universities, and professional services firms.
Marcia earned the Certified Management Consultant designation from the Institute of Management Consultants USA in 2002. This designation is awarded to select consultants who have demonstrated a history of substantive results for clients, adherence to the canon of ethics of the Institute of Management Consultants USA, and professional practice management. The CMC is an ISO certified designation. She also an accredited executive coach and completed a year-long evidence-based coaching certification program. She earned the Professional Certified Coach (PCC) from the International Coach Federation in 2010.
Dr. Ruben earned her Ph.D. in Human and Organizational Systems from Fielding Graduate University, and is currently working on a book based on her doctoral research. She earned an M.A. in Human and Organizational Systems from Fielding Graduate University and an M.S. in Counseling from California State University, Hayward. Marcia graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a B.A. from University of California, Berkeley. She has co-authored several articles that are recognized as thought-leaders in the change management and coaching industry.
Research Interests & Areas of Specialization
- Executive Coaching
- Leadership/Organization Assessment
- Leadership and Team Effectiveness
- Large Systems Change
- PhD (human and organizational systems), Fielding Graduate University
- MA (human and organizational systems), Fielding Graduate University
- MS (counseling), California State University, Hayward
- BA, University of California, Berkeley
- Tangles: Transforming Hidden Forces That Strangle Great Organizations (forthcoming book): Reveals entanglements that create snags for many organizations. Tangles presents experience-tested tools for surfacing, understanding, and addressing the human and organizational dynamic tangles that threaten productivity and profits.
- Evidence-based Coaching Certificate, Fielding Graduate University
- Professional Certified Coach, ICF
- Certified Management Consultant, IMC
- Certified in Assessment tools including: MBTI, DiSC, MIR, HBDI, EQI, Five Dynamics, Lominger