Joseph G. Walsh, MBA, JD, LLM, CPA
Joe Walsh joined Golden Gate University as Dean of the School of Taxation in 1984 and has been serving as a Professor of Taxation since 1993. In addition to teaching at GGU, he was the faculty advisor/coach for the team of tax students that won Tax Challenge. Joe won the Best Article award from the Tax Section of the American Institute of CPAs, and the Distinguished Service Award at GGU.He is an inactive California CPA, a member of the Tax Section of State Bar of California and the San Francisco Tax Club, where he was president in 2000. Some of Joes previous positions include Associate Tax Counsel at Bank of America and Associate at the law firm of Fitzgerald, Abbott and Beardsley. He has authored numerous articles for various tax journals including Practical Tax Strategies, Taxation for Accountants, and The Tax Advisor. Joe holds a B.S. and an M.B.A. from University of California, Berkeley, a J.D. from University of California, Hastings College of the Law and an LL.M. in Tax from New York University.
TA 338Tax Timing
Research Interests & Areas of Specialization
- Federal Tax Accounting
- Partnership Taxation
- BS, University of California, Berkeley
- MBA, University of California, Berkeley
- JD, University of California, Hastings College of the Law
- LLM (Taxation), New York University
Professional & Teaching Experience
Full-Time Faculty, Golden Gate University
- The 20% Deduction for Qualified Business Income, Practical Tax Strategies, May, 2018.
- Section 751(b): Deemed Distribution, Sale and Contribution Approach, Practical Tax Strategies, September, 2015.
- Section 751(b) Proposed Regulations: The Hypothetical Sale Approach, Practical Tax Strategies, August, 2015.
- New Proposed Regulations on Built-in-Losses, Practical Tax Strategies, July, 2014.
- Tax Court Administers a Painful Root Canal Without Anesthesia, Practical Tax Strategies, May 2011, pg. 196
- Regulations Provide More Changes to the Return Preparer Penalties, Practical Tax Strategies, July 2009
- Circular 230 Sets Stringent Requirement for Written Tax Advice, Practical Tax Strategies, October 2005
- Opinion Letters Offer Scant Shelter from Tax Shelter Penalties, Practical Tax Strategies, April 2005
- New Regs. Shed Light on Partnership Noncompensatory Options, Practical Tax Strategies, September 2004
- Recent Court Decision Virtually Eliminates Tax Practitioner Privilege, Practical Tax Strategies, June 2003
- Member, San Francisco Tax Club
- Tutor, Next Step Learning Center, Oakland, CA
- Member, Financial Planning Association
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Service and Dedication to the LL.M in Taxation Program, Golden Gate University, 2008
- Best Article Award, AICPA’s The Tax Advisor, 1995
- Distinguished Service Award, Alumni Association, Golden Gate University, 1995
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of California, Berkeley
- Haskins & Sells Award for Excellence in Accounting and English, University of California, Berkeley, 1970