Professor of Law
Director, IP Law Program & IP Law Center
Editor: The IP Law Book Review
William Gallagher is Professor and Director of the IP Law Center at the Golden Gate University School of Law, where he teaches courses on intellectual property law, intellectual property litigation, torts, and legal ethics. He has served as a Visiting Scholar at the Center for the Study of Law and Society at the U.C. Berkeley School of Law from 2009 to 2010 and also in 2015.
Professor Gallagher received his JD from the UCLA School of Law; his PhD from the University of California, Berkeley (Jurisprudence and Social Policy Program); his MA from the University of Chicago; and his BA from the University of California, Berkeley.
Professor Gallagher is the author of articles on intellectual property law and professional ethics, which have appeared in such journals as the Santa Clara Computer & High Technology Law Journal, Santa Clara Law review, Pepperdine Law review, Law and Social Inquiry, Center for the Study of Law and Society Working Papers and the Law and Politics Book Review. His edited book, International Essays in Law and Society: Intellectual Property, was published in 2007 by Ashgate Press. Professor Gallagher is also the Founding Editor of The IP Law Book Review.
Before entering legal academia, Professor Gallagher was a partner in the San Francisco office of a major intellectual property law firm, where he specialized in patent, copyright, trademark,
LAW 823EIntellectual Property Law Survey
Research Interests & Areas of Specialization
- Intellectual Property Law: Patents, Trademarks, Copyright, Trade Secrets, Rights of Publicity
- Interdisciplinary Study of Law: “Law and Society” approaches to law, legal processes
- Legal Profession: Ethics, Trends, Regulation
- PhD, University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law
- JD, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law
- MA, University of Chicago
- BA, University of California, Berkeley
Professional & Teaching Experience
- Visiting Scholar at the Center for the Study of Law and Society, UC Berkeley School of Law, 2009-2010
- Former partner in the San Francisco office of Townsend and Townsend and Crew, specializing in intellectual property and complex business litigation.
- Extensive trial and appellate experience in federal and state courts.
- Lecturer in law and sociology at Santa Clara University for eight years, teaching Intellectual Property Law; Legal Ethics; and Business, Technology, and Society.
- Co-founder, Collaborative Research Network on Intellectual Property Law and Policy for the Law and Society Association.
- Founding Editor: The IP Law Book Review
- SSRN Scholarship Social Science Research Network scholarly papers by Prof. Gallagher.
- With Debora Halbert. Intellectual Property and Socio-Legal Methods, ch. 34 in Handbook on Intellectual Property Research, Irene Calboli and Maria Lilla Montagnani, eds. (Oxford University Press, 2021).
- Trademark and Copyright Enforcement in the Shadow of IP Law, 28 Santa Clara Computer & High Tech. L. J. 453 (2012).
- Book Review: The Oxford Handbook of Empirical Legal Research, by Peter Cane and Herbert M. Kritzer (eds.) (Oxford Univ. Press, 2010), in 46 Law & Society Rev. 460 (2012).
- IP Legal Ethics in the Everyday Practice of Law: An Empirical Perspective on Patent Litigators, 10 J. Marshall Rev. Intell. Prop. L. 309 (2011).
- Book review: Patent Failure: How Judges, Bureaucrats, and Lawyers Put Innovators at Risk (Princeton University Press, 2008), by James Bessen and Michael Muerer, in 19 Law & Politics Book Review: 568 (2009).
- What is a “Law and Society” Approach to Intellectual Property? Introduction to Intellectual Property, William T. Gallagher, ed. (Ashgate Press, 2007).
- Editor, Intellectual Property (Ashgate Press, 2007).
- Book Review of Injury: The Politics of Product Design and Safety Law in the United States, by Jain, Sarah S. Lochlann (Princeton University Press, 2006).18 Law and Politics Book Review 4 (January 2008).
- Strategic Intellectual Property Litigation, the Right of Publicity, and the Attenuation of Free Speech, 45 Santa Clara L. Rev. 581 (2005).
- Ideologies of Professionalism and the Politics of Self-Regulation in the California State Bar, 22 Pepperdine L. Rev. 485 (1995).
- Review of Judging Credentials: Nonlawyer Judges and the Politics of Professionalism, by Doris Marie Provine. 12 Legal Studies Forum 251 (1988).
- Member, Executive Committee, State Bar of California Intellectual Property Law Section
- American Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, State Bar of California; Court Admissions: US District Courts for the Northern District of California; US District Court for the District of Colorado; Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals; Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- Intellectual Property Law Center
- Lomba, Lisa. Professor William Gallagher: Intellectual Property Law – in the Classroom, Spring/Summer Golden Gate Lawyer 18 (2013).
- Del Valle, Alica.The ‘Governator’ Bobblehead: An Exploration of the Right of Publicity in California – an interview with William T. Gallagher of Golden Gate University School of Law,5 U.C. Davis Bus. L.J. 21 (2005).