Program at a Glance
Basic Proficiency in Programming with HQL
Spring ’24 Final Application Deadline
As the demand for data analytics skills has increased significantly across all industries, enterprises of all types and sizes need talents that can help them derive value and insights from data. Numerous reports indicate that data analytics job postings are on the rise, and will continue to increase significantly in the near future.
The undergraduate data analytics certificate programs at GGU prepare you for these highly sought-after jobs. By enrolling in any of these certificate programs, you can gain knowledge and skills you need to succeed in this growing field.
The Undergraduate Certificate in Data Analytics with Programming in HQL will introduce you to the fundamentals of data analytics while providing hands-on experience using Hive Query Language (HQL) to handle and manage big data.
Courses are taught by experienced and knowledgeable practitioners of data analysis who work in technology companies, IT, and other career sectors.
This nine-unit certificate includes two core courses in data analytics and one elective course that will allow you to gain basic proficiency in programming with HQL.
You’ll walk away with:
- Knowledge of fundamentals of data analytics
- Basic understanding of unstructured data
- Basic proficiency in using HQL to access, query, and manipulate data
Add Value to Your Organization
This certificate will demonstrate that you’ve completed introductory coursework in data analytics and gained proficiency in an advanced query language on the frontier of data access and manipulation.
Plus, you’ll receive an official certificate that you may use on a resume, job application, or application to transfer to an accredited college or university like GGU.
Gain Long-Term Skills
Big data is the driving force behind artificial intelligence and machine learning that’s changing the way we live and work. While SQL is the primary language used to interact with relational databases, HQL is a more advanced tool that allows you to query the world of unstructured data that includes videos, images, audio files, and text.
As industries increasingly rely on digital marketing, HQL is an emerging tool that allows enterprises to target ads to consumers based on analysis of social media content and other types of big data. Whether you want to work in technology, advertising, fashion, or retail, HQL is an essential tool of the trade within the new economy.
Earn credits toward a degree
After completing this certificate, if you’re interested in continuing your GGU education, you can apply credits earned in this program toward a bachelor’s degree.
- Enrollment as a degree candidate is not required.
- Undergraduate certificate program applicants must submit official transcripts documenting that they have been awarded the equivalent of high school diplomas from approved institutions. Students who have earned 12 semester units or 18 quarter units or more from regionally accredited U.S. institutions must submit complete official transcripts detailing this coursework.
- Certificate students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Official test score reports or other proof of fulfillment of GGU’s English Language Proficiency Admission Requirement are required for all applicants whose native language is not English.
Please note that some courses taken as part of certificate programs will have prerequisites. These prerequisites must be satisfied (through transfer of equivalent coursework or through taking the courses at Golden Gate) before the certificate courses can be completed.
Note: When applicable, proficiency course prerequisites will be waived for certificate-only seeking students by their academic advisors.